This policy applies to all Paragon Bay staff who provide goods and services to persons with disabilities in a way that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration, and equal opportunity, whether they do so as employees, volunteers, agents (Service Providers), contractors, or otherwise. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation, or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defects, or illness and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal, or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device
- A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability
- A learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language
- A mental disorder
- An injury of disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
Access to Goods and ServicesIt is our policy to do our best to provide our services to disabled customers by:
- Respecting the dignity of disabled customers
- Consider integration and equal opportunity for disabled customers
- Provide access to the premises as far as possible by reasonable accommodation
- Access to information in a format that accommodates a disability as reasonable
Use of Assistive Devices
It is Paragon Bay’s policy that people with disabilities may use their own assistive devices to access Paragon Bay’s goods and services.
Use of Support Animals
It is Paragon Bay’s policy to allow service animals on the premises and in all situations where a disabled customer requires the service animal to access Paragon Bay’s goods and services.
Use of Support Persons
Paragon Bay will welcome people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter Paragon Bay’s premises with his or her support person.
Notice of Temporary Disruptions in Services and Facilities
If there is a temporary notice of disruption to the public it will be posted in a conspicuous place.
Paragon Bay will train all of the employees, volunteers and agents and others that deal with the public or third parties.
Paragon Bay will accept feedback from anyone who has any concerns about the Accessibility Program. Feedback may be submitted in writing, by e-mail or by telephone to Human Resources. Please direct your feedback by calling 705-474-6206.
Availability of Accessible Documents & Communication Supports
All documents relating to the Customer Service Standard of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is posted on the Paragon Bay’s website in an accessible format. It will be made available upon request in an alternate accessible format or support reasonably accommodating Disabilities. You may make a request in writing, by e-mail or by telephone. Please address your request by calling 705-474-6206. We will consult the person making the request for an accessible format or communication supports when determining the suitability of the format or support.
Paragon Bay will maintain a Multi-Year Accessibility Plan to help prevent and remove barriers from our workplace. It will be updated at least once every 5 years.
Paragon Bay will make all websites and content conform WCAG 3.0 Level AA by July, 2021.
Paragon Bay is committed to fair and accessible employment practices; however we are not wheelchair accessible. We will advise the public and employees about the availability of accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
Interviewing and Assessment
Paragon Bay will notify job applicants, when they are individually selected to participate further in an assessment and selection process that accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.
If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, the employer shall consult with the applicant and provide or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s disability related needs.
Notifying Successful Applicants
Paragon Bay when making offers of employment will notify successful applicants of our policies for accommodating employees with disabilities.
Informing Employees of Supports
Paragon Bay will notify all employees of policies and any changes or updates to the policies for supporting employees with disabilities, including our policies regarding the provision of job accommodations that take into account an employee’s accessibility needs due to disability. This information will be provided to new employees as soon as possible after they commence employment.
Accessible Formats and Communication Supports for Employees
When an employee at Paragon Bay with a disability requests we will consult with the employee to provide or arrange for the provision of accessible formats and communication supports that the employee needs to perform the employees job, as well as information that is generally available to employees in the workplace.
When determining the suitability of the accessible format and communication supports, Paragon Bay will speak with the employee making the request.
Workplace Emergency Response Information
Paragon Bay will provide an individualized workplace emergency response information to employees with
disabilities where the disability is such that individualized information is necessary and Paragon Bay
is aware of the need for accommodation.
Where a Paragon Bay employee who receives individualized workplace emergency response information requires assistance, Paragon Bay will designate a person to provide assistance and with the employee’s consent, Paragon Bay will provide the workplace emergency response information to this person.
Paragon Bay will provide workplace emergency response information as soon as possible after learning of the need for accommodation due to the employee’s disability.
Paragon Bay will review the individualized workplace emergency response information,
- When the employee moves to a different location at Paragon Bay.
- When the employees overall accommodations, needs or plans are reviewed.
- When Paragon Bay reviews its general emergency response policies.
Documented Individual Accommodation Plans
Paragon Bay will have in place a written process for the development of documented individual accommodation plans for employees with disabilities.
Paragon Bay’s documented individual accommodation plan will include the following;
- How an employee requesting accommodation can participate in the development of the individual accommodation plan.
- The means that an employee is assessed on an individual basis
- That the employer can request at the employers expense request an evaluation from outside medical or other experts to help the employer determine if accommodation can be achieved or how it can be achieved.
- How an employee can request the participation of a representative from their bargaining agent or a representative from the workplace in the development of the accommodation plan.
- The steps taken to protect the privacy of the employee’s personal information.
- When the individual accommodation plan will be reviewed, updated and how it will be done.
- If an individual accommodation plan is denied, how the reasons for the denial will be provided to the employee.
- The means of providing the individual accommodation plan in a format that takes into account the employees accessibility needs due to disability.
Paragon Bay Individual accommodation plans may also include;
- If requested, information regarding accessible formats and communication supports provided will also be included in individual accommodation plans.
- If required, will include workplace emergency response information (where required in accordance with the Workplace Emergency Response Information Standard).
- Identify any other accommodation that is to be provided.
Return to Work Process
Paragon Bay will develop and maintain a documented return to work process for its employees who have been away from work due to a disability and who require disability related accommodation in order to return to work.
The return to work process will outline the steps that Paragon Bay will take to facilitate the return to work and will include documented individual accommodation plans.
Performance Management, Career Development and Advancement
Paragon Bay, when conducting performance management or providing career development and advancement to employees will take into account the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities as well as individual accommodation plans.